What is the FAST program?
The FAST program gives you the opportunity to get a taste of what the sport of soaring is all about. It is a program that offers you an introductory lesson in flying a glider, during which you will handle the controls of the aircraft under the guidance of an FAA certificated glider flight instructor.
Who is this for?
The FAST program is geared towards you! If you’ve ever watched a hawk gliding effortlessly in the sky and wondered what that experience must be like then now is the time to try soaring! This is a sport that attracts individuals from all walks of life and of all ages, and is a great activity for the whole family. The FAST program experience also makes a great gift.
How does the FAST program work?
It’s easy and fast! To buy a FAST program lesson voucher at the SSA online store click here. Then call a participating soaring operation to schedule your lesson. You can also order your FAST package by calling 1-575-392-1177 during normal business hours to receive your voucher by fax.
How much does it cost and what do I get?
The FAST package is a great value at $139. With your purchase you will receive:
- An introductory lesson consisting of a minimum of 30 minutes of ground instruction and approximately 30 minutes of flight time.
- A copy of the Glider Flying Handbook.
- A glider pilot logbook.
- An introductory 3 month membership in the Soaring Society of America, including one copy of the monthly magazine Soaring.
Where can I redeem my FAST program voucher?
You can use your voucher at any participating SSA Chapter or affiliated commercial operator. To find the nearest participating soaring operation click on the map icon to the right (Flash 6 required) or go to the “Where To Fly” page; or just contact the SSA. Once you’ve selected a soaring operation you should contact them to schedule your lesson, tell them you have a FAST program voucher. They will tell you everything you need to know and what to bring with you on the day of your lesson.
- FAST vouchers may be redeemed at participating soaring clubs and commercial soaring businesses. Redemption of your FAST certificate may require compliance with any membership rules or conditions applicable to whatever organization provides the flight. Typically, this requires some simple paperwork at the flying site.
- The Soaring Society of America, Inc. acts solely as agent of the entity that provides the introductory lesson and will not, and does not, assume any liability or responsibility for any injury, death, damage or loss arising directly or indirectly in any manner from the instructional flight including while in transit to or from the glider used for such flight.
- Individual FAST providers (affiliated SSA Chapters or commercial operators) may have additional organizational, size, or weight restrictions (typically height under 6’2” and maximum weight 225 to 250 lbs.) Please contact your FAST site for specific answers or ask when you call to make your FAST lesson reservation.
- Limit one voucher per customer.